I am interested in interviewing or talking to people within the Gullah Geechee Community, where should I start?
Gullah Geechee refers to people who have traditionally resided in the coastal areas and the sea islands of North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, and Florida. Thus, there is no one spokesperson for the community; however, there are some organizations and individuals that provide support and advocate around issues facing Gullah Geechee people.
- Henrietta Snype, basketmaker
- Corey Alston, basketmaker, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Nakia Wigfall, email@example.com, http://www.sweetgrassgullah.com/home
- Dr. Melissa L. Cooper, the author of Making Gullah: A History of Sapelo Islanders, Race, and the American Imagination.
- Giovanni Richardson http://www.tasteofgullah.com/oralhistorian
- Gullah Geechee Cultural Heritage Corridor Commission https://gullahgeecheecorridor.org
- Center for Heirs Property Preservation https://www.heirsproperty.org/
- Grimball Area Improvement Association
- Geechee Experience https://geecheeexperience.com/
- Mt. Pleasant Settlement Communities https://www.tompsc.com/1182/Settlement-Communities-Task-Force
- Progressive Club https://progressiveclub.org/
- Gullah Geechee Nation https://gullahgeecheenation.com/
- Selected Archival Collections at the Avery Research Center